Sunday, July 15, 2012

First game confirmed

Train tickets for my first of the 42 Grounds have been booked! On Saturday 28th July, I shall be at Shielfield  Park watching Berwick Rangers host Queen's Park in the first round of the Ramsden Cup (the Challenge Cup).
Why Berwick for my first game? The journey has to start somewhere and I thought the best place to start my quest to visit all 42 Grounds in the SPL & SFL was to start in a different country! Although it will probably be one of the quickest journeys to get there (45 minutes by train), Berwick of course play in England. I thought this was a novel way to start what could be a novel season.




My planning for the rest of the 42 Grounds hasn't quite got anywhere near as finalised as I would like, mainly due to the unmitigated disaster that has been the close-season in Scottish football. We are less than two weeks away from the start of the season and still the SPL doesn't have a 12th club and there are other clubs such as Airdrie, Dundee, Dunfermline and Stranraer who don't know for sure where they will be playing next season. This has not been the finest summer for our footballing administrators. The incompetence on show in the Scottish Premier League and Scottish Football Association has many fans harking back to the days of Jim Farry, which is a sentence I never contemplated writing before this year. Say what you will about Mr Farry, but unorganised  is not one of the words you would have associated with him.


Hopefully after tomorrow's SPL Annual General Meeting we'll finally have some clarity and then I can begin to plan some more adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment