Sunday, June 2, 2013

Ground 42: Pittodrie

Pittodrie
Game: Aberdeen 1 v 1 Heart of Midlothian
Date: Saturday 18th May
Competition: Scottish Premier League
Attendance: 10,465
Admission: £5
Programme: £3

This is it. The final game of the season. The 42nd ground of the year. You would have thought by this point I’d have learnt to take a jacket to a game. Even one in May. Instead I got wet. Really very wet. And damp. And miserable. All this before kick-off.

I’d booked my train up to Aberdeen as soon as the SPL split fixtures were confirmed, so I knew that my adventure would be finishing at Pittodrie. In a way, it was fitting as Aberdeen were the team I first supported as a four year old before, gasp, horror, I switched my allegiance to Hibernian.

I arrived in Aberdeen an hour before kick-off. By this point the torrential rain that had followed me on my journey all the way to the Granite City seemed to have dissipated. So I chanced my arm and decided to talk the 20 minutes from the train station to Aberdeen’s home ground. Big mistake. By the time I got to the ground I was absolutely drenched and my mood was made worse by checking my ticket to see I had a seat in Row D – right where the stand stopped being covered by the roof.

I thought I’d wait and see if all the seats in the covered section were occupied by kick-off and mercifully there were not and I was able to dive in a seat just as the game got underway.

The crowd of 10,465 meant that Pittodrie was only half-full, which was slightly disappointing given the much reduced admission for the dead rubber encounter but I imagine many people were put off by the weather. Completely understandable if I’m honest.

Yet there may not be a football ground near the city centre in Aberdeen for much longer. The club plan to move to a brand new stadium to the south of the city. It’s a move that I feel, could be disastrous for the club. There is no doubt that Pittodrie has seen better days, but when has a move to a new out-of-town stadium ever galvanised a club in Scotland? On the whole, they’ve become white elephants and the lack of transport links for the new Aberdeen stadium leaves me with a feeling this could be the same. Construction of the stadium has been delayed for a year, so perhaps common sense will prevail. What’s clear, however is that little money has been invested in the ground in the past twenty years – in fact, it looks the same as it did when I went to my first match here in 1994/5.

Pittodrie is dominated by a massive two-tier stand at the Beach End of the stadium, called the Richard Donald Stand. It towers above the rest of the ground, and makes it lopsided. The main stand is a typical construction and the South Stand where I was sitting is a large 8,400 embankment which in the east sections hosts away fans.

As I had mentioned, the weather was shocking. It was easily the worst playing conditions I’d seen all season – with puddles forming in parts of the pitch. It was clearly going to be a skiddy surface for the players.

The game didn’t really get off to a flyer and the most entertaining action in the early stages took place in the stands as a group of Dons fans unveiled a banner with the slogan: “Stewart Milne: epic fail”. Milne is the unpopular chairman of the underachieving Aberdeen and soon the fans right to protest was halted as the stewards moved in, removed the banner after a small confrontation and ejected one or two of the rowdier fans. The natives are clearly not happy.

And in all honesty, who can blame them? Aberdeen are an underachieving club. They are a one club team in Scotland’s third biggest city, which has been recession proof in these recent turbulent economic times. They are not a bottom six club, but have largely underachieved since the start of the 1990s. The shadow of Sir Alex Ferguson’s success in the 80s looms large over this club.

The news of the great man’s retirement was covered in Aberdeen’s excellent programme – certainly one of the best I’ve read this season, with lots of interesting content and lengthy pieces.

The game itself was what I was expecting from two underperforming clubs on the final day of the season. It wasn’t bad, but it hardly set the heather alight. Aberdeen had all the early chances and Hearts keeper Jamie Macdonald kept them in the game with several great saves in the first half.

Hearts, on the other hand could be summed up in one word: turgid. This was the third time I’d seen them in the flesh this season and they are not a pleasing outfit on the eye. Obviously matters have not been helped by off-the-field problems but for too long they’ve overpaid people to play football in an unattractive manner. By the amount of money they spend on personnel, Hearts should be finishing third every season in the SPL no problem, but that looks unlikely to be the case for the foreseeable future as belts get tightened around Tynecastle. Fortunately, they have a good few youngsters coming through, so hopefully footballing brains will replace brawn.

Despite Aberdeen’s penchant for 0-0 draws this season, I was impressed by how they were playing under new manager Derek McInnes. They passed a ball a lot better than I expected and one can only hope that will get better if the playing surface is allowed to repair itself over the summer, as certain games at Pittodrie this season have been notable for having more soil on display than grass!

However, what was disappointing about Aberdeen’s performance was that they still played it safe despite the outcome of the game not really mattering. It was rare for the midfield to push further up and support the attackers and even rarely for either of the fullbacks to support the players in front of them by overlapping or for those wingers to run at the shaky Hearts defence. Despite being denied a half dozen good chances by Macdonald in the Hearts goal, it was somewhat inevitable that Hearts were the team to take the lead. Having not looked in the game, Hearts pushed up and got a corner. From the set piece, Ryan Stevenson was able to wander free from his marker and head the ball home unchallenged.  A simpler goal you will not see for a very long time.

It would have been an injustice for Hearts to walk away with all three points and fifteen minutes after going behind, the Dons equalised after good work from Johnny Hayes saw Jamie Hamill put the ball in his own goal.

The rest of the game petered out, with both teams probably quite happy to not lose. It’s probably that sort of attitude that has them sitting 8th and 10th in the league respectively.

As the final whistle blew, it also signalled the end of my 42 Grounds adventure. I’ll be doing a few wrap up posts soon, so look out for that. One thing is for certain – I’ve thoroughly enjoyed (almost) every minute of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment